16 June, 2009

Coopers Vintage Ale '08 and a large suitcase...





I misread the permitted weight allowance of luggage per person for a flight to Spain, after ironing 20kilos of clothes which only later discovered should be 20lbs I cracked open a bottle of Coopers Vintage Ale 2008. At 7.5% this would enable me to make an executive decision on the wardrobe.


It pours like a lemon and honey drink, golden brown with a slightly burnt orange tinge.


On the nose it's all summer fruits - strawberries, raspberries with some yeasty, bready notes.


The palate was really surprising, theres lots going on in this. Caramel, ripe fruit, kinda toffee apple-ish with a fresh citrus twist. It finishes really smooth and creamy with no bitterness on the finish. The sweetness reflects the alcohol content but it's very well balanced.


This would be a great accompaniment to duck and orange sauce or sausages on the barbecue with fruit chutneys. I didn't have either but I did pack my bag. I made it just under 25lbs which for me ain't bad....

See you in a week.Rx


1 comment:

Beer Blokes said...

RUTH,

hAVE JUST BOUGHT MY ANNUAL SUPPLY OF THE VINAGE ALE. EACH YEAR I BUY 6 - ONE FOR NOW AND THE REST TO CELLAR OVER THE NEXT YEAR OR SO. THE 2006 IS WAITING FOR ME AS I SPEAK. A CRACKER OF AN ALE FOR KEEPING AND MATURING.

CHEERS
PROF. PILSNER