13 June, 2009

June Tasting synopsis...



Kate and Leslie-Ann were are first two female attendees that came minus boyfriends or male acquaintances of there own accord. Later, they informed me of there disappointment in lack of males - the turn-out wasn't great for Thursday, Where were you all?? I'm now thinking of starting a 'date by beer' club. All those in favour post your comment. Needless to say, if Kate and Leslie-Ann read this post we'll never see them again so fingers crossed they're not that interested in the synopsis.

I'm not going to bore you with too much information. We stared the tasting with Bateman's Combined Harvest 4.7%, quite similar in style to Whitstable bay. This is a multi-grained beer, citrus and floral notes, really easy drinking and good fruit on the palate.

Meantime London Pale ale 4.3%, this was my favourite of the night , as per usual I was the only one who thought this. Apple and hoppy aromas on the nose with biscuit and honey notes on the palate and a slightly sharp finish.

I was most excited about tasting Timothy Taylors strong pale ale but a little disappointed, light in alcohol at 4.1% and kinda light on flavour. bready biscuity palate with little evidence of fruit, the nose had some candied aromas and heavily hopped.

Sharp's single brew reserve '08 was number 4. Initially it was a little cold to pick up any fruit character but as this warmed up there was lots going on in this. Raspberry, brambley fruit combined with hops and malt on the nose. the palate is heavy with ripe fruit with malt.

I expected not to like Bateman's Dark Lord and was really pleasantly surprised, this is a dark ruby beer, the nose is rich mocha, hints of black liquorice chocolate and malt. the palate is silky smooth with coffee chocolate and roasted malt flavours.

The last Ale of the night was not my bag at all but for a stout drinker this was heaven. Meantime London Stout 4.5%. Opaque black with slight hints of ruby, the nose was coffee and garden soil - earthy and dark. the palate had a sharper edge with similar coffee flavours but far heavier and not as creamy. I've never tried anything similar to this.

We then drank Knappstein Reserve Lager which has a post of it's own due to favouritism... See Exclusive beer from Knappstein winery.

I'm hoping to see you all for July which I haven't nailed the line-up for yet. Will keep you posted.

Kate and Leslie- Ann that includes you, no excuses.

Ruthx

1 comment:

Colin Zeal said...

So I tried the Sharp's Reserve 2008. My first impression was one of great anticipation....it has a lovely mahogony colour that looks like exactly the type of ale I adore. I thought at first that I was disappointed, the flavour and body was much less intense than I expected due to the appearance. I was mistaken though, I relaize that as far as an ale to be enjoyed by many kinds of people, with many different tastes in many kinds of situations....this fits the bill. It has a lovely light nutty, almost light butterscotch flavour I felt at one point. It would be great for sessions and I was reminded that there is always something to be said for subtle quality.