14 November, 2009

Goose Island 312 and Harvest Ale.



After serious deliberation about last nights activities, I ended up in The Bull and Castle for a beer instead of 'Springbreak' in the Harcourt Hotel or a boat party on the quays. I'm a massive fan of this pub, not just because of the vast array of interesting beverages but the unpretentious clientele and the general atmosphere of normal people drinking good beers. I had a cold bottle of Goose Island I.P.A- yes, I was playing it safe but as I had my car waiting outside to be driven home, there's definite comfort in familiarity.
Beer drained and the 4 of us headed back to Nutgrove. I had a couple of new beers in the fridge and a score card.
Goose Island 312: From previous posts you're aware of my fondness of a good American hefe, especially when it stems from Sierra Nevada/ Flying dog/ Goose Island. This I was disappointed in, the nose was wheat beer-esk, slightly spicy with some notes of banana, more under ripe green banana then blackened, destined for banana sandwich, banana. The palate had loads of weight and a slight creaminess but very little else going on.
Goose Island Harvest Ale was worth coming home for though. This actually looks like Autumn in a glass - Amber, golden with a brown hue. The nose has loads of ripe winter fruit - almost stewed fruit with hints of clove. The palate is big, round fruit, ripe apple and plum with a nice balanced carbonation, slightly sweet finish.
Justin loves the Hophead by Porterhouse. Very floral with a fresh hop palate and a citrus finish. I like this but a little too hardcore for me, I always assist him on consumption purely to remind myself that it's not my bag and that I'm happy with my own choice, I can hear you all simultaneously saying 'ANNOYING'. Louise had a Hopfen Weisse by Schneider/ Brooklyner, I've posted on this before. This is the kind of beer that you spend your last fiver on. Value for money and a bottle like Mary Poppins carpet bag, endless, just the way we like it!!
I have my 10year school reunion this evening. I'm pretty sure that I can't get a bottle of Goose Island in 'Krystal', I'd also rather spend my Saturday night in an abattoir than that particular venue!!!
Fill you in on the abc next week,
Ruthxxx

No comments: